Affordable Management Corporation AMC

National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS)

The National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS) was created by the Council of Australian Governments (COAG) as part of a strategy to address housing affordability within Australia.

The scheme was established with the view to:

  • increase the supply of affordable rental dwellings
  • reduce rental costs for low and moderate income households; and
  • encourage large-scale investment in, and innovative delivery of, affordable housing.

 The Scheme will deliver approximately 37000 dwellings across Australia.

How Does It Work?

Primarily, the scheme works through a National Rental Incentive being offered to providers of newly developed dwellings on the basis that the dwellings are rented out at minimum 20% below market value (some dwellings may have a greater rental discount).

In return the investor receives a National Rental Incentive which is indexed with movements in the rental component of Consumer Price Index (CPI). The incentive is payable for each dwelling in the scheme.

Currently the National Rental Incentive stands at $11,270.59 per dwelling per annum for the 20/21 NRAS year and will be provided for the duration the scheme (10 years).

75% of the incentive is provided by both the Australian Government and the other 25% by the relevant State/Territory Government.

Under NRAS guidelines only lower to middle income earners are eligible to rent dwellings under the scheme. To establish whether a tenant is eligible for the scheme certain wage, asset and residency tests must be met. These requirements vary from State to State.

All potential investors should obtain an AMC Disclosure Statement if they are considering purchasing an NRAS Dwelling, and also seek independent legal, taxation and financial advice.

Contact Us:
Phone: +61 (7) 3555 9500 Email:  
Copyright Affordable Management Corporation (AMC) © Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Site Map